Art created by Jalynn White.
Art created by Jalynn White.

Black 82 events fill calendar

January 25, 2022

Beginning with the first week of February, organizations are involved in Black 82, a series of events which celebrate Black History Month.

Junior Mass Communications major Jade Chance is involved with the VSU Gospel Choir and is also a new member of Urban Couture, an award-winning non-profit organization at Virginia State that focuses on confidence, walking as a model, and tapping into your alter ego when modeling.

“In GC we have a theme for the performance, based on movies, TV shows, anything that brings music to your ears. And for Urban Couture, and many other social organizations, they are coming together to make a grand opening dance performance for Black 82,” Chance said.

Some of the specific events Chance wanted to highlight involved the choir.

“I would say depending on what dynamic of students they are, they might be more intrigued with the opening performance, and the gospel performance always draws students attention,” Chance said.

Junior Psychology major Deondre Davis is currently involved in many organizations: the NAACP, Prep Inc., and also the Nu Psi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.

“I will be representing the Nu Psi Chapter for the National Pan Helic Council All Star Step Team. We are creating a step ad performing for the Black 82 event,” Davis said.

Davis suggests everyone try to attend all of the events.

“It’s a great experience to learn not only the history of the campus and organizations, but of our culture as a whole,” Davis said.

Taylor Richardson, a junior Business Management major is part of the VSU Woo Cheer Squad. They are making a tribute to the movie “Bring It On,” specifically where the Toros steal the Clovers’ routine during the football game.

“I think the Black 82 main event show is definitely a must see; you don’t want to miss it,” Richardson said.

Students rehearse for the Black 82 events. (Gibran Godfrey)

In the end, all of the participants feel like this is an important event.

“As students at an HBCU, not just Black 82, but Black history in general is a celebration for us. It’s why we’re here and we should honor those who created for us to be in this establishment. Black 82 month is a kick off for the whole celebration,” Chance said.

Davis agrees, “Yes I do believe that it is important for students to celebrate Black history month because I believe as African Americans we should all want to indulge more into our history and expand knowledge of our past.”

“Yes. because a lot of VSU history within the Black culture is amazing, not only VSU but other HBCUs as well. There’s always something for everyone to be a part of, and once that happens you’ll end up making history for yourself,” Richardson said.