There are three floors of the Johnson Memorial Library, with study spots on each floor. The second floor of the library has four cubical-like study spots in front of the elevator with comfortable chairs.

Best study spots on & off campus

September 2, 2022

Welcome incoming freshman class! While Virginia State has a lot of fun activities, events, and extracurriculars to offer, students should always keep their education and learning in mind first. During freshman year, the constant noise and distractions made it hard to study in the dorm. Students had to get out of the dorm room to actually get assignments done, and so the suggestion is that others do as well. Listed below are some of the best study spots on (and off) campus.

On-Campus

Johnson Memorial Library

There are three floors of the Johnson Memorial Library, with study spots on each floor. The second floor of the library has four cubical-like study spots in front of the elevator with comfortable chairs. The basement of the library has a few larger tables with outlets. The top floor has several tables and desks where students can study. This area is perfect for large group projects or quieter study sessions. The top and second floors also have private study rooms that students can reserve through the library website. When reserving a study room, make sure you have your student ID with you. If you have a big test coming up and really need silence, the private study rooms are the best place for students to go.

Hunter McDaniel Hall

Located within Hunter McDaniel is a study space right near the entrance of the building. There are plenty of tables and a few outlets. This spot is perfect for larger quiet group study sessions.

Off-Campus

Starbucks

Starbucks is a classic study spot where you can get the caffeine you need to get work done. The Starbucks near campus (located in Colonial Heights) is not huge, but there are a few tables where you can study. Outlets are very limited in this space.

Panera Bread

Panera Bread is a perfect study spot during exam season. The Panera Bread near campus is a favorite spot to go to during the colder months. It has a warm and calm atmosphere and plenty of outlets. The chairs are very comfortable and there is plenty of seating if you go outside of rush hour. It is also conveniently located next to Starbucks.

Demolition Coffee

This coffee spot is located in Old Towne Petersburg, and the atmosphere is very nice. Not only is the coffee good, but they also have plenty of seating for you to hit the books. If you love to study in the morning, this spot is perfect for you considering Demolition Coffee closes around 3 p.m. daily. There are limited outlets, but they have very affordable prices for good coffee.

Restored Cup Coffee Shop

Restored Cup Coffee Shop is located in Old Towne Petersburg. The atmosphere is beautiful and filled with plants and books. The coffee is very good here, but seating is limited. This spot is great for times when you want to get in a quick study session in. There are not many outlets here, and they close at 2 p.m. They also are closed on Sunday and Monday.