5 sporting events not to miss this year

September 6, 2022

Sophomore Kennedy Hoge (left) passes a serve to her setter in a drill at practice at the Multipurpose Center. Hoge is a defensive specialist. Photo by Gibran Godfrey.

The 2022-2023 season for Virginia State University sports is going to be an eventful one to say the least. From the fall/winter sports such as football, women’s volleyball, men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, bowling, and indoor track and field, to the spring sports such as baseball, softball, golf, outdoor track and field, and men and women’s track, fans should expect the Trojans to do great this year.

There are five main events that students should mark on their calendars and pay special attention to because of the expectations of the currently constructed teams.

The first event sport fans should try to attend is the first home football game.

As many current students and alumni may know already, a brand-new artificial turf field and brand-new track is being installed currently, and it is on schedule to be used by the first home game. There’s no way anyone would want to miss opening day there at the stadium, as a new chapter begins with a brand-new stadium.

The second event fans should try to make is the 2022 homecoming football game. This year’s homecoming with be one to remember as this will be a full-go experience with no restrictions due to Covid.

The third event would be seeing the women’s basketball first home game as a new chapter begins there with new head coach Nadine Domond taking the helm. She will try to make her mark in the program’s history right away on their journey to win the CIAA Championship.

The fourth event is not necessarily any game, but any one of the baseball or softball games. The baseball team has promising freshmen coming in, along with already highly skilled and experienced second years ready to make the team a championship team. The softball team is fueled with high expectations to make it to the championship this year also.

The fifth, but probably the most energetic and highly anticipated event VSU students and alumni and VSU fans should be geared up and anxious for is the volleyball playoffs, as VSU volleyball comes back this year reloaded with more high-powered weapons and stacked with potential to a point where they are ranked fourth in the 2022 preseason poll.

And one more item for sports fans to get excited about is the addition of soccer and lacrosse. Teams are assembling now for their first season on campus as Trojans Athletics continues to grow.

Overall, don’t just single in on the five or so events showcased here. Try to attend as many as possible and support the VSU Trojan Athletes.