Students participate in the Org Bazaar in front of Foster in 2022. Staff photo.

Homecoming Week promises live music, plenty of activities

Every fall, the highly anticipated Homecoming concert is a topic of conversation. Buzz created on social media and on campus multiplies during the weeks leading to it. This year, Virginia State University has a star-studded lineup of performers.

Headliner A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie will be sharing the stage with R&B singers Toosii, Mariah the Scientist, rapper Kali, and special guest rapper Da Baby.

“This lineup is better than what I’m used to seeing… they got a better number of people… they’re doing their thing,” VSU alumna Paige Taylor said.

“Over the summer, I asked the previous E-board their lineups and I also asked the current board their lineups and then I send it to Mr. Perry… then he pretty much gets it done,” TAB President Devin Styles said.

This semester, many students feel the list of potential Homecoming talent is impressive.

“We had Kali, EST Gee, Roddy Ricch, Ice Spice, Lil Baby, G Herbo, A Boogie, Summer Walker,” Styles said.

Tickets for VSU students are $8 and students have some feelings about the price since the concert was free before.

“This is my first time paying for my ticket. It still wasn’t bad, $8 isn’t bad,” Howell said.

“Oh, that’s nasty… it was only $8, but going from free to anything is crazy,” Ribeiro said.

As always, there’s a reason why there’s a fee.

“There are a lot more students on campus, so we had to find a way to regulate somehow,” Styles said.  “We’re gonna have to go above and beyond to fit this many people, with the alumni coming too.”

Despite the fee, students are ready to be in attendance and have fun. Students are interested to see what songs a few artists are on track to perform next week.

“I like A Boogie. The only person I listen to on the concert list is A Boogie. I wonder if he’s gonna do his old stuff or his new stuff,” Ribeiro said.

“As long as [A Boogie] does some old songs, I don’t know too many of his new songs really… if he sings ‘Drowning with Kodak Black’ that would be cool, maybe ‘Jungle.’ I really don’t listen to him like that, I’m from the country,” Howell said. 

“I’m more excited to see what songs Da Baby is gonna do. I think he’s gonna do the song with Sexyy Red, Shake Sum. He’s gonna turn the crowd up with that,” Howell said.

The theme of this year’s Homecoming is “The 1882 Experience.” VSU has events like the concert, Org Bazaar, SGA talent show, pep rally, and more.

“It’s exciting. I’m just excited to soak up the experience,” Ribeiro said.

“It gets wild,” Styles said. 

“When it comes to the concert, if you like the artist, sing it to the top of your lungs.”

Homecoming is a week packed with events and interacting with new people. Students should keep a few things in mind throughout the festivities.

“Classes don’t stop for homecoming,” Taylor said.

“Always be with people that you trust because there’s gonna be a lot of people on the yard, if you’re going off campus just make sure that you’re safe,” Styles said.

VSU students have a week of Trojan fun ahead. Homecoming activities start Oct. 7 and wrap up on Oct. 14.