The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Farmer’s Market returns with new vendors

Nasya+Bugg+of+Truth+Village+Farms+educated+those+present+on+the+uses+of+bamboo+as+their+farm+grows+fresh+bamboo+stalks.+
Nasya Bugg of Truth Village Farms educated those present on the uses of bamboo as their farm grows fresh bamboo stalks.

On Thursday April 18th, the VSU Trojan Farmer’s Market returned to campus. This month’s market was the first and last of the semester and a bit quieter, but it was still a moment. 

She showed market attendees the heads of the bamboo which can be replanted, and the stalks (shoots) which are used mostly for decoration but also making trellises. 

She broke down how even the leaves can be treated and boiled to use for various purposes. Enthusiastically, she said her favorite part about farming and assisting with the market is just being in nature. 

Bugg is thinking of potentially studying botany and maybe becoming a future Trojan herself. Her younger sister, Truth, calls Bugg an “Herb Nerd” jokingly and Bugg accepts the nickname gracefully as it fits her love for nature and knowledge of the herbs around her.

At another table, — Koci, Community Forestry Associate for the Virginia Cooperative Extension demonstrated the differences in tree types with a visual diagram he’s made on behalf of Tree Campus USA. 

He eagerly discussed the different outreach that they facilitate around the community. His goal is awareness and education. He shares that peer reviewed articles back up the theory of tree growth impacting climate change positively worldwide.  

Karima and Tyrone Cherry run an establishment through Petersburg Oasis Youth Farm which is a community garden that they aim to bridge the gap between Petersburg and VSU.  As alumni themselves, they are passionate about helping the local community learn to survive in the food desert that is the Petersburg area. 

They have a truck that goes around Petersburg with fresh produce called the Petersburg League of Urban Growers (The Plug) mobile farm stand, which is a really transformative way of addressing the systemic issues that keep marginalized communities from accessing fresh, healthy and affordable food. People can connect with them further on Instagram @growwiththeplug and @plugmobilefarmstand