Staff Editorial: Attending Commencement gives ‘Greater’ perspective

In just about three weeks the campus will transform for the Spring 2022 Commencement activities which will take place on May 14, 2022, at 9:00 AM in the Multi-purpose Center.

For many students who are just finishing up their freshmen or sophomore or even junior year, this day seems like a far off finish line that doesn’t mean a lot right now.

But even if you don’t know someone graduating this spring, we want you to consider taking part in some way this year. You may ask why? No one is going to hand me my diploma, why should I take part?

Graduation is more than just one person’s accomplishments, it’s a celebration of everyone who has helped the senior make it to this major step in life. From the first person you meet when you move into your freshmen dorm, to the moment you shake hands with President Abdullah at Homecoming, your journey as a VSU Trojan is filled with new found family who are guiding you to your new path in life.

Consider graduation one last time for you to honor your Trojan family. And when you see the Class of 2022 walking across campus with their regalia who knows what inspiration it might spark in you.

When the Graduating Class of 2022 walks across the stage on that Saturday in May, we will be saying goodbye and congratulations to a part of our Trojan family.

All year long we have worked hard to support the idea that “Greater Happens Here.” There is no other place where this is on display more than at graduation.

Graduation is where “Greater” is recognized. Seniors are recognized for those midnight study sessions, those long treks to the library in the rain to finish that research, and the last minute run to Wawa to get that coffee that will keep you awake for your 8 AM class.

So take advantage of the moments, even if you still have a few credits to get towards your degree. These moments where you get to witness the accomplishments of your friends and fellow brothers and sisters are few and far between. We’ve learned this through Covid.

Even if you can’t make it to the Multipurpose Center on campus on May 14th, take part in congratulating our seniors some way.

For more information about Commencement 2022, go to www.vsu.edu/graduation or email [email protected].