The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Seniors Need to be Prepared for Final Stretch

Jaylnn White

It’s your senior year! You made it! It’s been a long and exciting journey, and you want to keep the same motivating energy all the way to the finish line. It’s time to focus and finish strong. 

From ensuring that you have the correct credits to complete your program to preparing for your next chapter, there are many things to consider as you start your senior year.

Review and confirm graduation requirements: Meet with your academic advisor NOW to ensure you are on track to meet all the requirements for graduation. Create a plan to complete any remaining coursework or requirements.

Stay Organized: Use tools like planners, calendars, or digital apps to keep track of important dates, deadlines, and commitments. Your senior year can be stressful and overwhelming only if you allow it. Find the best organizational method to help you stay focused and structured.

Set Goals: Reflect on your academic, personal, and professional goals for your senior year. What do you want to achieve before you graduate? Setting clear goals will give you direction and motivation.

Update Your Resume: Update your resume to include your most recent experiences, accomplishments, and skills. This will be helpful as you apply for jobs, internships, or graduate school.

Start Networking: Begin networking with professors, professionals in your field, and classmates. Attend career fairs, workshops, and networking events to build valuable connections. Speak to your professors about your interests. You’d be surprised by how many organizations and memberships the university finances. This can also help you with finding an internship.

Research Grad School: I know, your last thought is to return to school after graduation, but consider what other doors could open for you by furthering your education. You can apply as early as NOW—your senior year.

Visit Career Services: Joseph Lyons, Executive Director of Student Engagement and Career Services here at Virginia State University, assists with mock interviews, helps in creating your resume, provides job search strategies, and offers guidance on career planning. Make an appointment to get more information.

Maintain a Strong GPA: Your senior year grades can still make an impact on your transcript. Stay focused on your studies and maintain a solid academic performance.

Stay Healthy and Manage Stress: Prioritize self-care to manage the stress of senior year. Get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and practice stress-relief techniques.

And Finally, Enjoy Campus Life!: Your senior year is a lot of work, but don’t forget to have fun. Capture memories and continue (or start!) to engage in campus events and activities that you haven’t experienced before. Make the most of your time with classmates, friends, and even your favorite professors.

Remember that your senior year is a unique and transformative period. By approaching it with intention and taking proactive steps, you can make the most of your final year of college and set yourself up for a successful transition to the next level.