The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Black 82 Begins With Opening Celebration

Black 82, Virginia State University’s tribute to Black History Month kicks off on Friday, Feb. 2, with its opening celebration.

This Friday’s opening will be held at Daniel Gym starting at 7 p.m., and feature singing, dancing, and spoken word performances. Black 82 has become a tradition at the university, and Friday’s event is the first of several this month that students, faculty, and staff can enjoy.

There will be spoken word, live performances, and music for the students and faculty to enjoy. Groups performing include Gospel Chorale, the NPHC All-Stars, Urban Couture, Carribean Dance Crew, the Woo Woos, Zyaa and many more.

Some of the Black History Month events happening after the opening of the month include the ‘I Have a Dream’ internship and career fair in the Virginia State University Multi-purpose Center on Fed. 13. Students will have the opportunity to meet with various organizations and peak their interest in different job opportunities and fields of study. Everyone is welcome to attend the all day event.

VSU has also partnered with Chesterfield County for students, faculty and the diverse communities alike to attend the programs tailored to the heritage of the African American experience. This is the 35th Black History Month Celebration and the theme is African American Arts.

On Feb. 2, everyone will have the opportunity to create their own textile portrait collages inspired by the award-winning artist, Bisa Butler. Information on calendar events with the Chesterfield County Community Activities can be found on their website, visit https://www.chesterfield.gov/4226/Black-History-Month-Celebration for more information.