Scholarship opportunities for Black students

Illustration by Anjel-Ali Ormond

Black college students have plenty of opportunities to receive scholarships through different scholarship outlets like Thurgood Marshall College Fund, Bold.org, and the United Negro College Fund.

During Black History Month, we feel it is important to highlight scholarship opportunities exclusively available for black students and students attending HBCUs. The financial burden of college is hard for many, so it’s essential to keep in mind the available resources to help with tuition and fees. Below are scholarships for black undergraduate students or students who attend HBCUs.

M.H.M.A. Black Excellence Scholarship

This scholarship is for an African-American male student that attends an HBCU and is involved in some extracurricular (sports, debate, music, etc.). It aims to “support African-American male students dedicated to making a positive change in the world.” For this scholarship, you have to say how you’ve made a difference in your community and how you will continue doing so in the future. 

Award: $500 

Deadline: Feb. 19

Rooted in Science Scholarship

This scholarship is presented by Gold Series from Pantene, a black hair care line “co-created by Black scientists, stylists and dermatologists who understand the unique need of textured hair.” This scholarship is for African-American women currently enrolled in college as sophomores or juniors and will be enrolled full-time as college juniors or seniors in the 2023-24 school year. You must be majoring in biology, chemical engineering, chemistry, or mechanical engineering, have completed a FAFSA, and have an unmet financial need. You must provide an official or unofficial transcript, write a one-page essay, and have one reference.

Award: $5,000 for junior and senior year (for current sophomores applying) or $10,000 for senior year (for current juniors applying) 

Deadline: March 21

McDonald’s Black and Positively Golden Scholarship

This scholarship, given through Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and McDonald’s, offers financial assistance to “outstanding students attending HBCUs.” 63 full-time undergraduate scholars with a 2.7 minimum GPA with leadership abilities will be selected to receive this scholarship. This scholarship will only be applied to verifiable costs associated with college tuition and fees. You must upload a maximum video of yourself answering two prompt questions to apply.

Award: Up to $15,000 for the 2023-24 school year ($7,500/semester)

Deadline: March 27

Vanguard Scholarship

This scholarship is available for ten full-time students who will be a junior during the 2023-24 school year at a TMCF-member institution. It is open to any student majoring in accounting, business, communications, computer science, finance, graphic design, information technology, math, statistics, STEM, or supply chain. Students also must be able to demonstrate financial need and have a 3.0 GPA or higher. To apply, students submit a video statement answering questions found in the application. This scholarship is renewable for two years.

Award: Up to $5,000

Deadline: March 27

If you are a student interested in any of the scholarships above, click the links to be taken to the scholarship portals and apply.