The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Virginia State to host 2024 Presidential Debate

Virginia State has been selected to host one of the 2024 Presidential Debates. Virginia State University announced through a press release on Monday that the university will host the second of three scheduled general election presidential debates on Oct. 1, 2024.

This is the first time ever a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) has been selected to host a general election debate.

The national debate will be held at the VSU Multi-purpose Center (MPC), where concerts, sports games, and events are regularly hosted. VSU describes the MPC as a “state-of-the-art facility that is well equipped to accommodate such a high-profile event.”

The first presidential debate will be hosted by Texas State University on Sept. 16, 2024. The vice-presidential debate will be hosted by Lafayette College on Sept. 25, 2024. The third presidential debate will be hosted by The University of Utah on Oct. 9, 2024. The debates will start at 9 p.m. ET and will be 90 minutes long. 

While this will be the first time an HBCU will host a presidential debate, Virginia universities have been home to presidential and vice presidential debates in the past. Longwood University, The College of William and Mary, and University of Richmond have all hosted national election debates.

The Commission on Presidential Debates, a nonprofit organization that facilitates United States presidential and vice-presidential elections, said on their website that they are ‘deeply grateful’ to Virginia State University for hosting ‘the first debate ever held at a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).’

As the day of the debate approaches, Virginia State will give more information and updates about the national event as they are announced by the Commission on Presidential Debates. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Virginia Statesman

Your donation will support the student journalists of Virginia State University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.