The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Recruitment Tour 2024: Spreading the Legacy of the Virginia State Concert Choir

The Virginia State University Concert Choir recently finished their recruitment tour.

The concert choir recruitment tour is when the concert choir performs and recruits at several high schools throughout the east coast for prospective students to learn all about what VSU and the music department has to offer.

Choral Activities Director Dr. Craig Robertson says that the choir performed at a few high schools in North Carolina and Georgia.

“Throughout our seven-day tour, we performed at a total of five high schools in Charlotte, North Carolina and throughout the Metro-Atlanta area,” Robertson said.

The concert choir also had the chance to perform with other HBCU choirs such as Mississippi Valley State University and Grambling State University at the HBCU Choral Festival.

Robertson says that after performing at the festival, Columbus State University Choral Activities Director Dr. David Hahn,invited the choir to perform and record at Columbus State’s Legacy Hall.

Even though the drive to Columbus State was long, Robertson doesn’t regret it.

“The two hour drive down I-85 South was worth the effort,” Robertson said. 

“It was a magnificent performance.”

The recruitment tour is an event that happens yearly and the farthest the choir has traveled is Maine.

Robertson’s goal is to one day take the concert choir on a European tour in which he hopes to spread the global presence of VSU.

One of the things that Robertson looks for in a possible choral student is that they have potential to collaborate with him and be hard working

“I can work with anyone if they are willing to take my instruction and put in the work,” Robertson said.

Robertson part of the recruitment tour was when the concert choir went on a choral exchange with the Atlanta Music Project. They got to perform with students that come from underserved communities.

Robertson hopes that one thing that potential students got out of seeing the concert choir perform is the sincerity and passion that the choir presents.

“I hope they will experience our sincerity and passion as we present music that is moving, soothing and life changing,” Robertson said.