The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

River Street Market brings fresh produce, meat and vendors to Petersburg community

Every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 noon, River Street Market brings local farmers and businesses together for the community to enjoy. 

Crista Manieri, market manager, gives insight on why River Street Market is crucial to Petersburg. 

“Petersburg, especially the downtown area, is a food desert. So, it’s hard for people to get fresh fruits and vegetables and nutritious foods,” Manieri said. 

“The farmers provide vegetables and fruits right out of the garden. You can’t get fresher produce than that.”

Customers can peruse through the fresh food options and enjoy everything else the market offers. 

“It’s a place for people to gather. We have musicians that perform here as well as all the artisans that make products. It’s a nice place to stroll and mingle, get a cup of coffee or a breakfast danish,” Manieri said. 

Music, vendors, and fun is what to be expected at River Street Market. What people may not have expected is the market has produce perks for qualifying customers with SNAP benefits. 

“Virginia Fresh Match is a healthy way to stretch your snap dollars. So, for every dollar that you spend for SNAP EBT, you get a dollar for fresh fruits and vegetables. If you spend up to $40 on your EBT card, we can match that up to $40 of fresh fruits and vegetables,” Manieri said. 

Essentially, those with SNAP benefits get a maximum of $40 of free money redeemable for produce sold at the market. 

Petersburg is home to Virginia State University and Richard Bland College of William and Mary. Students that need volunteer hours should reach out to the market staff. They’re always looking for help and volunteers. 

“We’d love to have volunteers. We always need help getting things set up,” Manieri said.

“If they come talk to us, there are lots of way they can help out. If they need volunteer hours, we’re a nonprofit so we can sign off if they needed service hours.”

River Street Market is a gem in downtown Petersburg that more of the local community should come experience and explore. The market provides spaces for children, small businesses, musicians, farmers, and more. They’re always looking for ways to add to the Petersburg community. 

“Petersburg is an up and coming community and the market has a lot to contribute with that,” Manieri said. 

“The market is in the process of opening a community kitchen to do more food demonstrations and be able to show people what fresh food tastes like.” 

River Street Market proves to be a notable example of community development and solidarity by giving opportunities to local businesses and providing fresh foods to Petersburg.