The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Atrell Williams breaks records in shot put

Track and Field record holder Atrell Williams throws the shot put at an outdoor meet in 2022. Williams recently broke the shot put record for Virginia State University for indoor track. He previously broke the outdoor record last year at Virginia State University. He is competing at CIAA Indoor Championships this week in North Carolina. Contributed photo.

Shot put is one of the traditional throwing events in track and field. Recorder-breaker Atrell Williams didn’t always have shot put as a part of his sports journey though.

“In 8th grade, my friends told me to come play football, the same friends that did football did track. My older brother was doing track, so they influenced me to come join,” Williams said.

The jump from football to shot put may seem substantial but it’s not in vain.

“I knew it would make me stronger. I am a student of this. I love this.”

Strength is a clear component of throwing. However, it is crucial to keep in mind that strength isn’t the only way to win according to Williams.

“You have to outwork everybody. For throwing, you have to be a student of the craft. If you’re not the biggest or the strongest, you have to be technical; you have to learn what it means to throw,” Williams said.

Studying the game is what crafts greatness. Wins, losses, and new records come and go, but what Williams has learned is what has made a lasting impression.

“I’ve broken the outdoor school record and the indoor school record for shot put. I am proud of all of them really,” Williams said.

“Nobody is going to pick you up just because you’re an athlete, you have to be good for the team. You have to grind for it. You have to stay humble. You’re going to take those L’s, but those L’s make you a winner.”

Winning on and off the field means keeping satisfactory grades. Williams’ mother makes sure he never forgets that.

“My momma, she’s super smart and she has a doctorate now. So, whenever I start talking real loud about track or I’m feeling some way about track, it’s always ‘what about those grades though’ – bad grades weren’t allowed,” Williams said.

Williams is maintaining his grades and dominating the shot put scene. His post-graduation career goals are bright.

“When I graduate, I want to coach,” Williams said.

“My goal is to find a smaller school and coach there. I just know I want to be around the sport. I want to use my degree to move from coaching into athletic administration and possibly become an athletic director.”

Williams’ love for the sport is admirable; it catalyzed a change in him.

“This sport has allowed me to become a leader; it’s not only a battle between other people, it’s a battle with yourself. So you have to be able to control your emotions and be able to focus. It gave me a hardworking mindset.”