The Student News Site of Virginia State University

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

The Virginia Statesman

Petersburg

• 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    62 °
  • 10 PM
    61 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    54 °
  • 1 AM
    53 °
  • 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    51 °
  • 5 AM
    51 °
  • 6 AM
    51 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    60 °
  • 9 AM
    64 °
  • 10 AM
    68 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
  • 4 PM
    82 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    75 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
June 4
75°/ 57°
Overcast
June 5
82°/ 51°
Sunny
June 6
83°/ 53°
Sunny
Baseball Results
Countdown to Graduation 2023
Graduation will take place at the Multipurpose Center on campus.

Freedom Classic brings excitement to Multipurpose Center

Imhotep George (3) misses the front end of a one and one free throw attempt during the Freedom Classic at the Multipurpose Center. George played 16 minutes and grabbed three rebounds and scored four points. Kamryn Edwards (15) led VSU in scoring with 9 points. Photo by Ashlee Porter.

The Freedom Classic is an annual tradition that is in connection with alumni, students and families, as well as to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Fans sat at the edge of their seats with anticipation, as fouls were called, points were made, and the scoreboard went head-to-head at the  28th Annual Freedom Classic game.

The game hosted longtime rivals Virginia State Trojans versus the Virginia Union Panthers and they brought a wild crowd and a night to remember. The 28th Annual Freedom Classic Game was held in the MPC on VSU’s campus and the arena filled as fans pushed through the doors to see the highly anticipated game.

The Trojans started strong, leading at times by five points in the first half, laying down nothing “but net” while all watched the game unfold from the sidelines.

The Trojan fans chanted in the stands as the Trojans took control in the first half of the game 21-18. But while the Panthers and the Trojans played well at the night’s end, there would only be one winner for this year’s game.

The time was ticking as Trojans forward Izeah Parker (#24) had one of the best dunks of the night, hanging off the rim like (Kobe). The Trojans commanded the boards in the first half with double digit rebounds.

Supporting the VSU sports team builds momentum in the game and allows students to come as a unit and become the mini cheerleaders in the audience.

Sophomore Christina Ruffin has been attending Virginia State University since Fall 2022.

Ruffin has been to multiple VSU basketball games and supports her fellow peers and she says the Freedom Classic brings different energy.

“I feel like the support from VSU is what makes us unique and a great big Trojan family. President Abdullah supports both the women’s and men’s basketball teams, which helps encourage the game,” Ruffin said.

“The whole experience of the Freedom Classic was my favorite game I went to so far in my college experience. At the game, the Woo Woo’s, Trojan Fire Dance Team, Trojan Explosion, students, and Alumni were boosting the players on the court. Every time a player would shoot a 3-pointer, or dunk the ball, the crowd went wild. I enjoyed watching my school encourage those on the court to continue to play hard,” Ruffin said.

As soon as the second half of the game started, the Panthers jumped out ahead.

The fans went insane as the men’s game ended with a win for the Panthers giving them the title for this year’s Freedom Classic. VSU lost 54-44. This year’s game was one to enjoy with the extra performances from the Trojan Xplosion, The Woo Woos, and other entertainment from Virginia Union and community members.

VSU Student Activities frequently post on Instagram about games and ticket information. Students were allowed free entrance to the Freedom Classic with proof of Trojan ID.